Not-So Poison Apples
The spookiest day of the year is just around the corner...so what better way to celebrate than some deliciously haunting poison apples!! That's right. Break out the cauldron we've got some cookin’ to do.
Although these beauties look particularly poisonous the ingredients are far from it! We know how much you care about what the little ones (and you) eat, so why not health up your sweets!!
So many candy apples nowadays are full of corn syrup and artificial food coloring, but why?! There are so many natural options out there!
Instead of all of that, we put together a little recipe with all the haunting fun and none of the scary ingredients!
So how do we achieve such a deep mysterious coloring?? Nature Restore Acai Powder!! A far more nutritious alternative to synthetic food colorings!
So gather yourself some sticks put on your favorite witch's hat and let's get cookin'!!
- 1 can coconut cream, separated from the water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2-4 TBSP Nature Restore Acai Powder (depending on how deep you want the color)
- Firm green apples
- Sticks (gathered and washed)
- Parchment paper
- Put the creamy part of the coconut cream into a saucepan set at medium-low heat and whisk in the dark brown sugar.
- Cook at this temperature for 20-25 minutes, stirring almost constantly and lifting off the heat when it bubbles up to the point that it might overflow.
- If it maintains so much heat that you keep having to lift it off, reduce the heat slightly. Should be at a full, rolling boil but not boiling over.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla, salt, and acai powder.
- Pour it into a glass bowl or pan to cool. This creates a very thick but pourable caramel sauce.
- Remove stems from apples and insert sticks to form a nice handle for dipping
- Dip the apples into caramel and place on parchment paper to cool and harden
- Take so many pictures because they turned out amazing and perfectly spooky!!
Recipe inspired by the vegan caramel recipe from Eff Yeah It’s Vegan