Secretly Healthy Banana Bread
I don't know about all of you, but banana bread just seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter! Even at the farmers market a few weeks back, I was so excited that there was a new baker will all of these delicious looking breads, so I splurged on one particularly delicious looking loaf of banana bread. I get home... cut myself a slice... and it tastes more like a banana CAKE than a bread! Don't get me wrong, sweets are my weakness, but they have their place.
When it comes to banana bread, I like to get my sweetness from the BANANAS!! They are already such a sweet fruit, why ruin it with processed sugars? Of course, after that experience, I had serious banana bread cravings as they were just not satisfied by the overly sweetened loaf.
Naturally, I went to the store looking for some nice and ripe bananas. But if I was going to try and make a healthier version of banana bread, what could set it apart from the mass of recipes out there already?? I went to my cabinet of Nature Restore goodies and of course! Milk Thistle!! This slightly nutty powder was just what I needed. Adding a nice detoxifying element to the delicious bread! The slightly nutty flavor of the milk thistle and the subtle sweetness from the bananas and honey made this more of a savory version of banana bread, just what I was looking for! Find the recipe and list of wholesome ingredients below:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt, milk thistle, and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Lastly, switch to a big spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined. Some lumps are ok!
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. If you’d like a pretty swirled effect, run the tip of a knife across the batter in a zig-zag pattern.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Recipe adapted from cookie and kate