The holidays are here, which means cookies are being made, presents wrapped, and homes decorated.
But who deserves a holiday treat more than our beloved fur babies?! They give us unconditional love and happiness, the least we can do is provide them with some wholesome home-made goodies!
I know I am not alone here, I wrap presents and bake for my dogs during the holidays because they are my babies and they deserve it! Before I get into this recipe let me tell you a bit about my pups. I have three, one camera shy Shih Tzu that likes to taunt the big dogs with his treats instead of eating them. One overly picky Great Dane mix (seriously he turned down a piece of hamburger the other day). Lastly, my beautiful girl/ glorified garbage disposal who you will be seeing here. She is half husky, half lab, and all love and cuddles but that girl will do anything for food (hence why she is my model).
I was expecting her to like these, but I was seriously surprised that my overly picky boy was begging for more!! ALL THREE of them gobbled these up!! Go figure.
Why did we choose spirulina for these goodies? Yes, partly because it is the perfect festive green, but it actually has health benefits for your pooch!
- It is FULL of essential amino acids needed for the health of every cell in your dogs (and your own) body
- It contains phycocyanin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- It contains ten times more beta-carotene than carrots
- It is also a wonderful source of essential fatty acids which are important for proper function of the brain, nervous system, tissue, and healthy coat and skin
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water, plus more as needed
- 3 tsp. Nature Restore Organic Spirulina Powder
- 2 tbsp. organic coconut oil
- Christmas tree cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add whole wheat flour, egg, and water. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Add spirulina powder and organic coconut oil. Continue mixing.
- Form dough into a ball with your hands, making sure all ingredients are incorporated evenly. If the dough feels too dry, add a little more water until it's soft and easy to work with.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut out mermaid tails.
- Place evenly spaced onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until treats are golden brown and crisp to the touch.
- Allow treats to cool completely before feeding to your pup.
Want to learn more about spirulina? Check out our spirulina blog here