Lemon Poppy Seed Red Beet Muffins
Recipe contributor: @ zane_zupan
- 2 C unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 2 tablespoons Nature Restore Red Beet Powder
- 1/2 C vegan butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2/3 C granulated sugar, plus up to 1 Tbsp for topping the muffins, if desired
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin purée
- 4 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 C nondairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or organic vegetable shortening, and set aside. Sift the flour, baking powder, red beet powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with an electric hand-held mixer in a large bowl, cream the vegan butter, zest, and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the pumpkin, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Fold the flour in 3 parts into the butter mixture, alternating with the nondairy milk in 2 parts, until just combined. Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin and sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool muffins in the pan on a rack.